The Dangers of Copper in Dog Food & Supplements

Copper is an essential mineral for dogs and other mammals, but too much copper can be dangerous. As pet owners, it's important to be aware of the potential harm copper toxicity can cause to our beloved canine companions. In this blog post, we'll discuss the dangers of copper in dog food and supplements, as well as how to remove excess copper from your dog's system if they have been exposed.

Copper Toxicity In Dogs

Copper is an essential trace mineral that dogs need to get in their diet. It helps build red blood cells and grows healthy connective tissue, skin and coats. However, it has been found that too much copper in the diet can be toxic to dogs.

In 1929, researchers found an average of 10 micrograms (mcg) per gram of copper in a dog's liver. In 1982, the average was 200 mcg per gram, and in 1995 it was 453 mcg per gram. A more recent study compared copper in feral dogs to healthy dogs raised in a laboratory eating commercial kibble, and found that the lab dogs had three times more copper than the wild animals.

It's clear that the amount of copper in dogs' livers is rising with time, and has more than doubled in just 13 years. This indicates that there is too much copper in their diets, leading to copper toxicity. Dogs need very little copper, and copper deficiency in dogs is rare. To prevent toxicity from heavy metals like copper, pet owners should be aware of the potential sources of toxins in their pets' food and supplements.

Why is copper dangerous for dogs?

Copper is an essential trace mineral that dogs need in their diet. However, the amount of copper in a dog's system has been steadily rising over the last few decades. In 1929, researchers found 10 micrograms (mcg) per gram of copper in the dog's liver. By 1982, this had risen to 200 mcg per gram and in 1995, it had reached 453 mcg per gram. Pet dogs had three times more copper than feral dogs.

Although a copper deficiency in dogs is rare, the rise in copper levels is linked to how much copper is in the dog's diet, such as from commercial kibble or other supplements containing heavy metals.
Too much copper in a dog's diet can lead to a condition known as copper toxicity.

In a study of liver biopsies, 58% of them had inflammatory liver disease and more than 400 mcg per gram of copper concentration. Symptoms of copper toxicity may not be apparent until the damage is advanced and include jaundice, vomiting, weight loss, anorexia, abdominal pain, increased thirst and urination, and neurological issues. Toxins can accumulate in a dog's body when they are exposed to too much copper. Therefore, it is important to make sure your dog is not getting too much copper in their diet.

Sources of copper in dog food and supplements

Copper is an essential trace mineral that dogs need to get in their diet. Unfortunately, researchers have found high amounts of copper in commercial dog foods. This can lead to copper toxicity, which occurs when the body has too much copper. Symptoms of copper toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, and discolored gums and skin.

The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) sets nutrient guidelines for pet food manufacturers, including minimum amounts of copper. To ensure that their products meet these standards, pet food makers add copper to their food to make up for nutrient loss due to cooking and storage. The minimum copper requirement for adult dogs is 7.3 mg/kg and 12.4 mg/kg for puppies.

Excessive copper intake can occur when pet owners give their dogs copper-rich supplements or supplements containing heavy metals like copper. The best way to prevent copper toxicity is to feed your dog a balanced, nutritious diet and not accidentally supplement their meals with copper or heavy metals.

How to remove copper from your dog's system

If your dog has been exposed to excess copper, one of the best ways to remove it from their system is to use Proven.protocol. This effective and affordable way to battle copper exposure in dogs can help to restore their health. System.detox is an active binder that works to bind to toxins and heavy metals, removing them from your pup's system. This all-natural ingredient is a safe and effective way to reduce the damage of copper exposure. And System. detox is included in the Proven. protocol.

System.detox is another scientifically proven heavy metal remover that can remove up to 99.99% of heavy metals from the body. This method has been proven to effectively reduce the presence of heavy metals like copper in the body, allowing for detoxification and revitalization of the system.

Using the Proven. protocol can help reduce the damage from copper exposure, allowing your pup to stay healthy and happy.
Back to blog

Recommended Products

1 of 4